The McLean Auxiliary Presents: Steve Lipman the Singin' Dentist "The Essence of Sinatra and All that Jazz" --- Please see News & Events page
The McLean Auxiliary Shop: You Won’t Walk Out Empty-Handed
Imagine a small shop with something for everyone on your list always seasonally appropriate and with no sales tax.
Well, it’s right here in your back yard! The McLean Auxiliary Gift Shop is your one-stop shopping store. We guarantee you’ll find something for someone you love – or you, too!
Even better, your purchase is a gift that keeps on giving. Entirely run by volunteer (a very rare find in this busy day and age), your every purchase at the McLean Auxiliary Shop supports a multitude of activities and needs for McLean residents. Every year more than $20,000 is net from gift shop sales and support resident special needs (a haircut, a manicure, new eye glasses), new programs and services, music therapy, dining room enhancements, award scholarships and entertainment.
Connie Norstrom, Gift Shop Manager, remarks: “We constantly get new shipments of jewelry that appeal to all ages. Many people come by annually just to find the perfect cards, holiday jewelry, handbag or scarf. However, we are always open to the public and people say our Auxiliary shop is the best kept secret in Simsbury.”
So come on by! Have a cup of coffee or soup at the Senator’s Café. Spring awaits you and so do many delights at the McLean Auxiliary Store. The store is located in the lobby of the McLean Health Center and open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Connie Norstrom, Auxiliary Gift Shop Manager, with Marge Brown, Auxiliary Member and former Chair modeling Gift Shop scarfs and other goodies!
Since 1972, the McLean Auxiliary has provided life enhancement support to McLean residents, patients, families and staff. The Auxiliary currently has more than 280 members, with total charitable contributions to McLean of nearly $750,000. The McLean Auxiliary is integral to the quality of life and culture of McLean.
The following is a short list of items recently funded by the McLean Auxiliary:
- Educational scholarships
- Life enhancement activites, including special resident programs, activities and excursions
- Health care equipment for nursing and rehabilitation care
- Digital scales, blood pressure cuffs and other items for home care
- A special fund for unfunded patient personal needs such as glasses, hearing aides, hair cuts and perms
- Senior driver assessment scholarships
- NUSTEP exercise machine
- Seasonal decorations, linens and glasses for dietary
- Books and resources for Hospice families
- Nursing treatment carts
The McLean Auxiliary serves McLean through resident activities, fundraising, and social events. In addition, the Auxiliary also provides The Art Lounge, which features monthly a local or regional artist.
McLean Auxiliary Gift Shop: The Jewel of McLean!
The jewel of the McLean Auxiliary is the Auxiliary Gift Shop. A valued resource, the Gift Shop is located adjacent to the Health Center living room and has something for everyone at a price affordable to our residents and visitors. From cards to toiletries, stuffed animals and snacks, jewelry, handbags, hats and holiday gifts, there is something for everyone!
The Auxiliary is proud of its integral role at McLean as it continues to touch many lives and makes an important difference by responding to patient and staff needs when no other resources are available. Please call 860-658-3710 for more information.
The McLean Auxiliary relies upon its membership for charitable support and the contribution of time. For more information, click here.
For the latest Auxiliary News, click here.
For the latest Auxiliary Events, click here.
The McLean Auxiliary Annual Scholarship Award
The McLean Auxiliary awards an annual scholarship in the amount of $1,500.00. In order to be considered for this Scholarship, the following requirements must be met.
The candidate must be:
1. A current graduating high school student OR college student
2. Attending college in the fall
3. Pursuing a health care related field
4. A current employee of McLean who works at least 10 hours per week and has completed at least one full year of employment.
5. The child of a current McLean employee who works at least 20 hours a week and
has completed at least one full year of employment.
The Application Process
1. Obtain a scholarship application request at the main McLean Reception Desk.
2. Complete the request which will include, but is not limited to, information outlined in the above section.
3. Return your completed request to the main McLean Receptionist Desk by the last day of February.
In early March:
4. You will be notified whether or not you have met the criteria to be a Scholarship Candidate.
5. If accepted as a candidate you will be directed to obtain your official Scholarship Application Packet at the main McLean Reception Desk.
By April 1:
6. Return your completed Scholarship Application packet to the main McLean Reception Desk by April 1. Information sent directly to the Scholarship Committee by your school must be postmarked or faxed no later than April 1.
The Scholarship Committee Decision:
– The committee meets, reviews each applicant’s packet, interviews each applicant (in person or by telephone) and determines who will be recommended for the Scholarship award. The award is made at the discretion of the Auxiliary Board.
– The McLean Auxiliary Board votes on the Committee’s recommendation.
– A letter is sent to each applicant concerning the Board’s decision.
– The Scholarship is awarded at the McLean Auxiliary Strawberry Festival.
For any questions please call the Auxiliary voicemail at 860-658-3710. Your call will be returned as soon as possible.